Monday, October 11, 2010

Busy, busy weekend and 35/35

So, this is one of those magical number game times, I guess. I am 35 weeks down, 35 days to go. 35 days. Can you believe it? I can't! According to Baby Center, he's like a yummy honeydew melon.

Jeff got to meet our OB today for the first time. Since he works 2 hrs away, it's not very logical for him to take a day off for every 1/2 hour appointment I have. But, today being a holiday and the doctor's office being open, it worked out perfectly. Today was also my Strep B test to see if I am a carrier. It's found in 15-40% of healthy pregnant women and all it means is if I am positive, they'll put me on antibiotics during delivery so Oliver doesn't catch an infection. We also talked about the fact that this baby is not moving head down. We'll wait till week 37, then my options are trying to do an external version or scheduling a C-section for close to my due date.

Some of the pros of the procedure are obviously the baby gets moved into the correct head down position and we wait for natural labor to hit me. However, there seem to be a higher number of cons:
  • According to my doc, there is a risk of fetal distress
  • Also a chance of placental distress
  • Only a 50% chance of success
  • Chance that the baby will move back to breech position
  • Very uncomfortable/painful for me
  • In my case, the position of the placenta and scar tissue form previous surgeries makes it even more difficult to do the version
Jeff and I talked about it after the appointment and we are both against trying the version for now. Well see if the baby moves in the next 2 weeks. If not, we are scheduling the C-section for close to November 15th. The possible dates are 11/11 or 11/18. If the baby changes position before then, good. If not, good. Either way, our plan is to have a healthy baby at the end.

This baby is also still stubborn, he sat in the back today and messed up the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundal_height. So, Wednesday, I get to go in for a growth ultrasound. I don't think there's a problem. When we got home, he was moving around and sticking his head out the right side of my belly again, so I did a measurement and it was already 2 more centimeters than at the doctor's office. So, hopefully, that'll be confirmed at the hospital on Wednesday and we'll see that he's growing perfectly well.

In other news, this weekend was a frenzy of activity and cleaning in the Williams' household. We did Oktoberfest on Saturday, lunch with neighbors on Sunday while watching the Ravens' game, OB appointment, B12 shot for me and whooping cough vaccine for Jeff on Monday. I did at least 6 loads of laundry, cleaned the bathrooms, dusted all wood furniture, steam cleaned the hard floors ... whew. We picked up a Shark steam cleaner for hard floors at Bed, Bath & Beyond and it is AWESOME! I cannot say enough good things about this contraption. I was using those Swiffer wetjet things till now and there is no comparison. Only thing left for next weekend is vacuuming the carpets. Then, I'll feel good about the house and not worry till next year. No, you think I am joking? After this weekend, I am not cleaning till after the New Year.

Oh, I also made some cookies from scratch. I am on a baking craze and would have made some pina colada cupcakes today but we had one single egg in the house. So, that'll be next weekend.

Because of all the stuff listed above, there were no belly shots, sorry! Trust me, it's growing though.

No comments: