Monday, November 8, 2010

Oliver Gary Williams

So, as almost everyone knows, I had a c-section planed for 11/11, only 4 days before my due date because Oliver was breech the entire pregnancy, and with an anterior placenta and scar tissue from previous surgeries, my OB did not feel comfortable trying any versions.

On the 6th, we were headed to a friend's surprise birthday party. During the day, I was having some contractions and I kept thinking they were uncomfortable but not painful so they were probably Braxton Hicks. Jeff had downloaded an iPhone ap for timing contractions and since I thought I was never gong to use it because of the planned c, I decided to go ahead and time these contractions for the fun of it. Well, for 6 hours or so, I kept track and they were all over the place. Sometimes 7 minutes apart, sometimes 3, sometimes lasting 30 seconds, sometimes over a minute. So, when we left their house at 9:30ish, we told them we were probably going home, but we might call L&D because the contractions were getting slightly painful.

On the way home, I called my OB's answering service, got a call back from the doctor on call who told me to come in to be monitored. In the next 30 minutes, the contractions suddenly went from being slightly painful to  me screaming at Jeff that if there was any day he was allowed to speed, this was it. We made it home, grabbed our packed bags, dropped off Smokey and headed to our hospital 15 minutes away. Every contraction from that moment on was excruciating. They got me into L&D, checked me in, got me in the beautiful gown and strapped me the monitors. The doctor on call came in and did an internal. Uhhh 4 cm, 100% and -1!!! What that means to the uninitiated is that I was in active labor. On top of it, he was trying to come out butt first.

So, things moved fast after that. They prepped me for my c, rolled me into the OR at 11:09 p.m. Jeff did see Oliver being born, still butt first. Oliver Gary Williams was born on 11/7 at 12:37 a.m. weighing 5 lbs 12 oz and measuring 18.5 inches long. They told us they'd take him to the nursery and bring him back once I was sewn up and in recovery.

This is where Oliver once again deviated from the plan. I was rolled into recovery and was waiting for Oliver to be brought in. Instead, I had a NICU nurse come in and tell me that he was born with a pneumothorax, so there was air around his right lung and he would be staying in NICU that night. Jeff went to see him and came back shook up because he saw them put a needle into Oliver's chest to help drain the air. Apparently, that wasn't enough so Monday morning, they put in a chest tube. We think and the doctors confirmed that he looked a lot better today and was doing a lot better with breathing too. They're keeping an eye on it and depending on how it resolves itself, Oli could be in the NICU 1 more day or another week.

I haven't held my sweet, handsome boy yet and it's tearing me up every time I think about it. I can go up and see him and touch him but I cannot pick him up and hold him to my chest. I am hoping that day is tomorrow. Keep your hopes up for us too.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Sylvie & Jeff thoughts & prayers coming your way. Oliver is beautful and I am sure he can feel your touch and he is just waiting to hold you as well. Hope things get better soon. Hang in there prayers heading your way. Julie